Unsafe Django version being pushed to stable

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 12:03:08 UTC 2010

Django 1.2.1 was recently pushed to stable in Fedora 13. This should not
have been done without discussion on this list. Django 1.2 breaks API
with Django 1.1, resulting in breaking at least two Django-based
packages in Fedora: Transifex and ReviewBoard.

ReviewBoard has an available upstream version that will work with either
(and I will now have to package early), but Transifex has no plans to
support Django 1.2 in the immediate future (since 1.1 will remain
supported upstream for some time).

Furthermore, these issues were already discussed in the bodhi update for
the EPEL5 version of this package, and it was decided that the upgrade
was not sensible there either. After that discussion, it seems to me
that it would have been sensible to raise a discussion about pushing
this update into a stable Fedora. (Rawhide was fine, as it would have
given Transifex several months to add compatibility).

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.