rpath handling

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jun 24 13:18:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is being run at build time needing which rpath in order to function?

The GObject type system as currently designed defines some components
(like properties and signals) in C code, and this has necessitated
running a binary to extract that data.

I would *love* to be in a future where we can rely on the static
introspection scanning and don't need to be running a binary, but
we're not there yet.

> And is gtk-doc running something specially because this is glib2 or is it
> running things every single build?  (Back in the day, it just extracted
> things from source code comments, so I'm not sure what this new behaviour is
> doing).

Nope, it's always created a binary.

[walters at pocket gobject-introspection (transformer)]$ grep Copyright
/usr/bin/gtkdoc-scangobj
# Copyright (C) 1998  Damon Chaplin
[walters at pocket gobject-introspection (transformer)]