rpath handling

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jun 24 18:28:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> The
> gtkdoc-scanobj program that's being run is compiled each time

That program itself compiles a new binary.

>  What is rpath being embedded into?

The binary created above.  The rpath refers to the uninstalled shared libraries.

> Does some program need
> to be put into the rpm and installed onto the end user's systems with an
> rpath set?

No.

> What is the rpath that we don't want stripped out?

None in this case; we're fine to strip all rpaths - but only *after*
the build process is complete.

>  Why is
> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the build environment not sufficient?

Because it's Linux-specific and thus brings us back to the whole
problem libtool was supposed to solve.

Again, what I'm actually proposing here is that Fedora's build system
should by default strip all rpaths for standard paths, not that people
copy and paste my different shell goo over and over.
I'm just using my different shell goo until we can fix it globally.