Feature 14 - official Fedora re-spins

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 21:33:09 UTC 2010

2010/6/27 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it would be a big problem to create regular (for example,
> every three months) re-spins of main installation images - cd's and
> dvd's for i386 and x86_64 (not livecd's).
>
> Fedoraunity http://fedoraunity.org/re-spins creates such images, but
> it's not regular.

It is possible to create your own using mock/pungi - I have been doing
this for several years now - two big advantages for me are that I can
remove all the locale stuff for languages I don't need, thus reducing
the final iso size by quite a margin, and also can add packages that
are not on the original iso as well as producing an up to date DVD
install iso that needs minimal yum updates if used soon after building
it.  I do a rebuild just before installing on my machines - so if it
will be another month before installing on the next machine then I
rebuild again just before that. You do need access to a fast mirror
(or your own mirror) to get the new rpms - but the build process
itself only takes about half an hour on a moderate capability machine.

The basic recipe was detailed on this very list in the past year if
you look back/search the list.
--
mike c