How to lure me to updates-testing

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Jun 30 21:16:35 UTC 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> Nathanael Noblet wrote:
>> #1) Easy way to know where a package came from.
> man repoquery
>
>> #2 ) Easy way to downgrade if I were to run into problems
> yum downgrade packagename
>
>> #3) Reminders
> bodhi -T

I presume a fedora account with certs are required for this?

>> #4) Easy way to update the karma on packages I've installed
> fedora-easy-karma
>
>> #5) Easy way to turn on/off my willingness to use updates-testing.
> yum --disablerepo=updates-testing
> or
> {editor} /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo

So those are great, and some of it like bodhi -T I didn't know about. However I'm trying to suggest that a complete guified (granted that with some tests it could stop working) be built to let some find/test/provide feedback for certain packages.

Even if it was a gui that did yum --enablerepo=updates-testing --disablerepo=* check-update to give you a list of potential updates worth testing, you could check some off and get them installed, then using bodhi -T for one screen to show the ones you *do* have installed. Buttons on the list to provide karma or request a downgrade etc.. with something like that you could even drop req #5 as it would be a self contained program.

Anyway, just a suggestion and it looks even closer to doable with all those pre-existing tools.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet