Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 1 00:44:23 UTC 2010

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Whether the "provided name" is existing or not is irrelevant, a dependency
> on it can spring to life any time, including at a time when it causes the
> package containing the name to be installed without being explicitly
> asked.

If the provided name did not exist before, nothing could have possibly
required it or the dependency would have been broken. So only already
existing provided names (or other mechanisms such as Obsoletes which I
discussed separately) can lead to the package being inadvertently pulled in.

(And here, the set in which you consider existence doesn't change anything
in the resulting theorem.)

> And FWIW, if you think outside of the Fedora box,

We don't support third-party packages. In fact we don't even support RPM
Fusion packages officially, though those could certainly be checked for. But
there's no way we can support all the possible third-party repos. Some are
not even public.

        Kevin Kofler