FESCo wants a more sane updates policy (feedback requested)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 10:20:40 UTC 2010

On 28 February 2010 18:39, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  I can't think of any reason why you'd need, or want, to have
> updates-testing checks block any other GUI operation.

To show the list of newest updates to the user...

>> If we could speed up the dep checking and downloading, I agree it
>> would be better for usability, and the exposure of updates-testing
>> generally.
>
>  Dep. checking is pretty fast, upT¹ is roughly 10 seconds for 300
> packages here and lsuT is like 2.5 seconds. I guess maybe that's worth
> caring about if you block everything else behind it, but...

Sure, and 2.5 seconds _extra_ is a long time.

>  As to the downloads, if you know of a way to speed up a users internet
> connection ... feel free to spread your wisdom.

Here's three:

* Download from multiple mirrors simultaneously
* Do the transaction in parallel so that you're downloading the next
depsolved set of updates as you're installing the first
* Have better control of the cache format so you don't need to keep
three files in sync just to update the primary and then depsolve.

Richard.