Fight bugs, not FESCo

Aaron Faanes dafrito at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 15:21:07 UTC 2010

> <snip>
>> - Allow maintainers to see number of downloads by users who have
>> opted-in to share that data. If not number, then a simple range.
> <snap>
>
> *That* would be awesome. Because besides of bugs and some guys in IRC
> who tell you that they like the software you package, you have no
> feedback if your software is in use at all. Of course speaking of
> maintainers like me who owns not the big desktops. I have some smaller
> packages and the E17 chain.

Yeah, I think there's ways to increase usage visibility without being
invasive to everyone's privacy. Exact details, even for those who
opted in, aren't necessary since just having a rough count of
downloads is all maintainers need to get a general feel for how much
their package is being used.

I feel like small usability improvements and aggregated information
like this will make testing be a more predictable and fulfilling
experience, rather than a mystery. ;) Plus, this specific issue has no
significant impact on the regular user, who's not interested in
reporting data.