Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 1 21:50:48 UTC 2010

Björn Persson wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> 1. upgrades which disrupt, regress or break things. Those can only be
>> pushed to Rawhide, if at all.
>
> Such as KDE 4.4, just to pick a recent example. I had to log out and log in
> again before I could start Kmail again. That can be quite disruptive if I have
> long-running processes that shouldn't be interrupted. And since the KDE
> upgrade I get popups when I log in about something called Akonadi that doesn't
> work because something called Nepomuk isn't running. I have no idea what that
> is but apparently something broke.

In my experience, *any* change to KDE can require a session restart.
This seems to be a generic problem with the KDE infrastructure.
Therefore, by your logic, no KDE updates should be issued, ever.

(Of course, I also run KDE trunk, which tends to exacerbate this issue.)

Even more so, no Firefox updates should ever be pushed because those
seem to /always/ break existing Firefox sessions.

If you aren't willing to risk that you might need to log out, /don't run
updates/.

Ironically, the kernel is probably the safest thing to update without
rebooting :-) (being a rare case where the old one doesn't get replaced).

--
Matthew
Person A: It's an ISO standard.