tor dependency insanity.

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Mar 2 19:31:50 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:

> I'm not quite sure why it needs separate lsb/upstart init scripts
> anyway.

All the initscripts have huge and broken dependency chains.
E.g. assuming I would use the vanilla fedora 'initscripts' package, then
tor would still require[1] syslog, cpio, e2fsprogs, ethtool, mount, ...
although it does not log anything, does not extract/pack anything, does
not format a filesystem, does not configures network interfaces nor
mounts something.

'upstart' is packaged more sanily (atm) so I want to have and provide the
option, to install only the required stuff.  This is done by splitting
out the core functionality and the ugly stuff (-lsb/-sysvinit) which is
used by most (but not all) people.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1]  rpm -qR initscripts