tor dependency insanity.

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Mar 2 21:23:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de) said:

>> All the initscripts have huge and broken dependency chains.
>> E.g. assuming I would use the vanilla fedora 'initscripts' package, then
>> tor would still require[1] syslog, cpio, e2fsprogs, ethtool, mount, ...
>> although it does not log anything, does not extract/pack anything, does

It does not log anything because Enrico broke logging in tor package. The
tor upstream has filed that as bug report as well. They know what's secure
to log or not, and the tor package removes any logging, making server
issues and diagnosis of problems much harder with no benefits whatsoever.

>> 'upstart' is packaged more sanily (atm) so I want to have and provide the
>> option, to install only the required stuff.  This is done by splitting
>> out the core functionality and the ugly stuff (-lsb/-sysvinit) which is
>> used by most (but not all) people.
>
> This is despite the fact that if you use upstart without the jobs provided
> in initscripts itself (which you're trying to avoid?) your service won't
> get started right anyway unless you write your own entirely separate
> startup sequence.

Also, the tor package has contained "the next fedora's init system" for many
versions now, and it has never become the new standard. Obviously this
packaging "to be innovative for the future" is not working out very well.

As noted before, the issue here is the Enrico is packging "his tor package",
going against the desires of both Fedora guidelines and Tor upstream.

Paul