Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 3 00:30:41 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Oh, I see. You're inferring a cause where there's no reason to. I didn't
> realize that.

What other reasons do you consider then? Pure chance? Doesn't look very
likely to me. It's much more likely the reason Mandriva provides fewer new
versions is because of the split update streams and the default being the
conservative one. Restrictive policies such as "no system library backports"
(even where backwards-compatible) (which in turn precludes some application
updates, e.g. it's quite common for packages to require a new Qt) may also
be part of the reason.

> I wasn't admitting any point. The fact that less stuff gets backported
> in MDV is more or less a direct function of a) whether anyone actually
> wants it to be backported and b) the number of maintainers.

So you want me to file bugs asking "Please dear maintainer, pretty please,
would you please be so kind as to please provide a backport for this
package, I really need the new version, please! I supplicate you!" for every
single package I'd like updated? Huh? It's the maintainer's job to realize
the package needs updating, nobody should have to request it.

        Kevin Kofler