Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 01:19:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 02:11 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> You and everyone else, please stop proposing Rawhide as the solution for me
> and people who want the same "update everything that doesn't break things"
> policy, it does NOT fit our usecase at all!

If you don't like rawhide for that use case, find another operating
system.  I'm tired of our stable releases getting tonnes of updates.
I'm tired of what F11 shipped like being completely different today.
I'm tired of waiting for many many hours while we try to compose out the
3444 individual updates in F11 stable.  (that's right, 3444 srpms worth
of updates.  F11 only had 7446 srpms to begin with!!).  This is not the
style of distribution I wish to produce or consume.  If this is the
style of distribution you wish to produce or consume, then I encourage
you to go find another distribution or start your own.

> On the other hand, your usecase has a solution, it's called CentOS.

Wrong answer.  Fedora can provide rapid adoption of new technology in
it's 6 month release cycle.  It can provide stability for those releases
with a more conservative update style, focusing more on bugfixes and
less on new features/packages.  We can give users the confidence that
when they install a Fedora release, we won't screw it up with
irresponsible updates, or by changing the look/feel of their system
midstream.  We can do all of this at the rapid pace that puts Fedora in
a vastly different world than CentOS or even Ubuntu.  This is the kind
of operating system I wish to produce, and I wish to consume.  So again,
if you want something different, perhaps /you/ are using the wrong
operating system.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!