Worthless updates

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 02:07:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Ok... removing deprecated uses is a questionable at best update, but
> here is the kicker.  The perl in F11 is perl-5.10.0-82.fc11.  So these
> functions aren't actually deprecated in F11.  So... why is this update
> going out?  What possible benefit does the user get from this?  Does
> anybody see this as a reasonable update to publish on F11?

the suggestion I had made at fudcon went something like this:

1. all packages being put in as updates would need to be marked as per
the type of update. the default is 'trivial'. Options might include: new
pkg, trivial, feature, bugfix, security

2. We would issue security updates whenever they happened. Issue bugfix
updates once every 2 weeks. Everything else once a month.

it would curtail this sort of thing, it seems to me and let us control our
updates AND testing cycle.

I've been thinking about the obvious problems of how we make it so you can
build those properly and I think we would need more targets to build
against, but I think that's do-able.

-sv