Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 02:19:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> If you don't like rawhide for that use case, find another operating
>> system.
>
> Such as? We're filling a niche, this is one of our unique selling points,
> you want to throw out the baby with the bathwater!
>
>> I'm tired of waiting for many many hours while we try to compose out the
>> 3444 individual updates in F11 stable.
>
> The fact that it takes hours is really a failure of our mash process. Extras
> managed to deal with this in a much more efficient way: they pushed only the
> new stuff and then had scripts to clean out the old stuff (and a process to
> request manual deletion if old stuff was not being cleaned out for some
> reason). How much old stuff was in the repo was mostly irrelevant for the
> time a push took.

Extras worked also because it had a lot less to deal with. Comparing
Extras to what is currently in the build process is like comparing the
build time for RHL6.2 to RHEL-5. Too many things have changed to say
any one thing is the problem or is the fix. In the end we have a lot
more hardware doing builds but a LOT more packages. Package sizes have
gone up and we are keeping debuginfo data when it was not as much a
factor back then. We are also dealing with deltarpms which we weren't
before.

However this conversation is not about facts.. its about emotions,
discontent, and calls for revolution.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning