Worthless updates

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Mar 3 04:13:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Wait until you will want to address a "serious/critical" bugfix to a
> perl-module which carries a dependency on a perl-module you haven't kept
> in sync with CPAN => You'd have to resort to either "fastestly" upgrade
> a series of perl-modules or resort to other solutions (E.g. to
> deliberately remove versioned dependencies from rpm and try to get away
> without them.)

oh, please -- simply this is simply FUD there;  perl module
packaging against CPAN is not black art, but merely tiresome
in running down sub-dependencies, and reading all the ways the
perl folks emit missing dependency and 'optional' ['suggests',
'enhances'] determinations and forks through the lens of the
RPMBUILD.

 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/bugzilla/perl-rpmbuild

A trained eye and a minimal bit of work can yield a set of
grep based filters to 'see' such trivially; I run rpmbuild,
then a local helper wrapper: perl-rmbuild, and can knock out a
module in less than 5 minutes to current.  I think the deepest
chain I have is perhaps 30 modules -- a tossup between an old
bugzilla, spamassassin, and zoneminder, and a surprisingly
deep leaf target: perl-Net-DNS-SEC

-- Russ herrold