Refining the update queues/process [Was: Worthless updates]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 05:05:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>> the suggestion I had made at fudcon went something like this:
>>
>> 1. all packages being put in as updates would need to be marked as per
>> the type of update. the default is 'trivial'. Options might include: new
>> pkg, trivial, feature, bugfix, security
>>
>> 2. We would issue security updates whenever they happened. Issue bugfix
>> updates once every 2 weeks. Everything else once a month.
>>
>> it would curtail this sort of thing, it seems to me and let us control our
>> updates AND testing cycle.
>>
>> I've been thinking about the obvious problems of how we make it so you can
>> build those properly and I think we would need more targets to build
>> against, but I think that's do-able.
>>
> FWIW, +1 to this general outline.

Right now I'm thinking that a packager should generally know if an update
is a bugfix/security/etc update when they are building it.

The issue right now appears to be the same as when we have a critical
security or bugfix that has to be fast-tracked and we have LOTS of pkgs
in updates-testing.

I think we just need to formalize and have queues for that process.

I wonder if I can organize a post-f13 FAD to implement this...
Anyone interested?
-sv