Refining the update queues/process [Was: Worthless updates]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 05:56:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 00:05 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
>> The issue right now appears to be the same as when we have a critical
>> security or bugfix that has to be fast-tracked and we have LOTS of pkgs
>> in updates-testing.
>
> I don't know if this will help.  Once a release has gotten a number of
> updates, mashing that release will take a long time, regardless of how
> many new updates are going in.  This is particularly bad of say
> 11-updates or 12-updates, but -testing generally goes much faster as
> there are less things in there (if bodhi obsoletes are doing the right
> thing).

At the risk of complicating the world would it make any sense for us to
have (in increasing order of importance)

updates-testing
updates
updates-important

packages that are security or critical go from updates-testing to
updates-important - and that happens as necessary

all other updates go from updates-testing to updates once a month.

-sv