Refining the update queues/process [Was: Worthless updates]

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 09:24:26 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 08:05:23 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:02 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Why? Because you say so? We aren't doing that stuff now and things are
> > working just fine, thank you very much! We don't HAVE to change anything
> > at all!
>
> This I believe to be the crux of the problem.  When multiple updates go
> out that break large or important segments of our user base, many of us
> see a problem.  You however seem to think it's "just fine".  Many of us
> would rather put out a better operating system, and to do that, we need
> change.  Your "just fine" isn't good enough.

And we are back in the beginning - what does "better OS" means - board is
trying to define it, every users has different view, every developer another...
And everyone is scared to make a decision. Yes, it's risky - you can kill
Fedora (for someone) or you can make Fedora best (for someone). You can never
satisfy everyone... There's advantage of open source - you are free to fork,
to start new project, to join another project if you think you have target
audience you want to work for.

But what we need really need is something, not two flamewars every week! So
let's prepare proposal(s), let developers vote and then implement it. Same for
board issues but it's not as easy to let users decide, to drag them into
decision process and it's the MUST for community project.

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275