Worthless updates

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 12:51:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Mathieu Bridon
<bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 13:33, Thomas Janssen <thomasj at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> What cost? I'm the maintainer of those packages. If i want them as
>> well for people who want it in F-11, i give it to them. Why should i
>> force someone to upgrade every 6 month? Or even worse to rawhide as
>> mentioned in this thread? I had skipped F-11 myself entirely because
>> it was (FOR ME) too broken (personal opinions i dont want to discuss,
>> because i dont have to discuss it, it's my right to think that a
>> release is bad and skip it). I respect people who wants to do that as
>> well.
>
> And what would have happened if those packages that made F11 "too
> broken" had found their way in Fedora 10 as stable updates?
>
> - Joe User: "Foobar is too buggy in F11, and it's a critical part of
> my usage of my computer, so I'm staying on F10"
> - Foobar maintainer: "I'm updating Foobar in F10 so that F10 users can
> benefit from the same new features as those on F11"
>
> To me, not updating F(x-1) to the same level as Fx is actually the
> best way to let people their "right to skip a Version". If you update
> F(x-1) to the same level as Fx, then those users will (almost) not
> have skipped anything.

As i said before. Nobody holds a gun on my head and tells me "you have
to update that packages". If you dont want it, read the man yum and
exclude what you dont want. That's what i did in F-10.

Best thing mentioned on this list since that mega thread was to use
another repo "updates-stable" and make that enabled by default.

Educate then people with popups what the other repos bring in before
they get it enabled. So everyone can have what he want as well.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium