Worthless updates

Rakesh Pandit rakesh.pandit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:18:31 UTC 2010

On 3 March 2010 18:03, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Rakesh Pandit wrote:
>> On 3 March 2010 16:23, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> [..]
>>> BUT, Fedora was my choice BECAUSE i get/got the latest and greatest.
>>> Even without running rawhide/factory/cooker.
>>>
>> [..]
>>
>> Well, update to latest release (every 6 month) and you will get latest
>> and greatest anyway. Updating old releases to latest and greatest
>> (features and new versions) has a cost, unless update is essential, or
>> a serious bugfix or security fix.
>
> What cost? I'm the maintainer of those packages. If i want them as
> well for people who want it in F-11, i give it to them. Why should i
> force someone to upgrade every 6 month? Or even worse to rawhide as
> mentioned in this thread? I had skipped F-11 myself entirely because
> it was (FOR ME) too broken (personal opinions i dont want to discuss,
> because i dont have to discuss it, it's my right to think that a
> release is bad and skip it). I respect people who wants to do that as
> well.

You are simply contradicting yourself here from what you replied to Jon's mail.

First, I did not said force your users to upgrade. What I meant was if
users really want what is greatest and latest now, better move to
latest release. With cost I meant new features bring along more
maintenance for old stable releases and un-stabilize them.

--
Rakesh Pandit
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rakesh