Worthless updates

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 15:07:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Thomas Janssen <thomasj at fedoraproject.org> said:
>> If you want RHEL, use it.
>
> People keep saying this, as if the opposite of "updates every day" is
> "release every 3 years".  Those are two extremes, and there is a lot of
> space in between.

Sure there's lots of space in between.

>> > On my mirror, updates/12 is approaching the size of releases/12/Fedora
>> > (which includes CD and DVD ISOs!), and that is in under 4 months.  That
>> > is an insane amount of churn.  Users do complain about it, when they
>> > install from a release DVD a few months after release and then spend
>> > hours downloading updates.
>>
>> And they *have* to update everything because?
>
> Because they are users, not developers, and they don't have any way to
> know what they should or shouldn't update.  There are security and major
> bug fixes as well as hardware support updates in there that most users
> need, but they don't have the time nor inclination (and that shouldn't
> be required) to try to sort out what they need and what is optional.

It's not like the security fixes aren't marked as security fixes.
That's why i said (in a different mail) educate them. If they aren't
smart enough to find that out on their own, educate them. It's not
like a developer is born, he's educated as well.
We have already at least one Distro for the dumbs out there. Dont turn
Fedora into one just because you think you might get one or two users
more. You might loose more of your userbase as you win with it. But
that's of course just my opinion.

But that thread and the other monster thread are just wasted time
since it's already decided what will happen. And those people who
decided what will happen will have to live with it.

Well, there you see how dumb i am. That i speak up for something that
will not happen anyways.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium