Worthless updates

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 15:58:11 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 16:43:37 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 16:08 +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > So why we can't use it as our advantage and fill this gap?
>
> We could very well fill that gap with rapid release cycles (every 6
> months) and updates for those releases that focus on bugfix and
> security.  That is a unique role that is not filled by any current Linux
> OS.

But then there's no need for two released and supported versions together (Fn,
Fn-1). But if we use both - we can have even more power in filling this gap -
Fn as current and Fn-1 as untouchable stable. Even consider rawhide as Fn+1
for really brave men ;-) I already posted it in more details.

But from all comments it looks like people want something rock stable, well
tested and for this - 6 month cycle is not very well suited. There's no time
for development and then for proper testing - so lot of unfinished and not very
well tested stuff goes into Fedora and it starts again - lot of updates,
breaking stuff... In circle.

Just my 1 Czech crown (we don't have any more equivalent to cents ;-)
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 731 455 332