Worthless updates

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 16:50:22 UTC 2010

On 3/3/2010 2:51, Till Maas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:07:29PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> How about we keep updates and updates-testing more like they are and add
> another repo like updates-stable that follows your policy and is the
> only updates repo enabled by default.

Splitting the updates repos into "updates-testing,"
"updates-probably-stable," "updates-stable," "updates-really-stable," or
whatever doesn't solve the problem.  Not only would the choice of what
is on by default remain the only distinction of significance, but it
would also subdivide Fedora releases in a way that prevents bugs that
are fixed with version upgrades from reaching most users.

If we want to go down that road we might as well write a yum plugin that
installs updates only if they meet a user-set karma threshold.  At least
then we wouldn't have repo proliferation.