Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Mar 3 17:47:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:48:18AM -0500, James Antill wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 17:09 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:02:51AM -0500, James Antill wrote:
> > >  If we had less updates, that changed less things and required more
> > > testing before pushing them to users ... this would be entirely
> > > possible.
> >
> > Less updates mean more changes per update or you have more buggy
> > packages, because updates usually fix bugs.
>
>  As I would assume any programmer knows: Not all bugs are created equal.
> Trading "no regressions" for "some minor bugs still remain" is a trade
> lots of users are happy to make (see: every customer of every piece of
> commercial software, ever).

But this is why I am not using a commercial version of Fedora (RHEL),
but a FOSS distribution. And here the relationship differs a lot than
the relationship between non-FOSS vendors and clients, so the Microsoft
/ Windows User relationship does not hold. Is there even a way to report
bugs to Microsoft? At least there is no way to submit patches. And I am
pretty sure that minor bugs usually remain in commercial software,
because the vendor does not care to put money/effort into fixing them.
This also happens in FOSS, but then often patches are accepted.

Regards
Till