Worthless updates

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 18:43:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Thomas Janssen (thomasj at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> As i said before. Nobody holds a gun on my head and tells me "you have
>> to update that packages". If you dont want it, read the man yum and
>> exclude what you dont want. That's what i did in F-10.
>
> When there's no policy, and the user has to guess whether or not they
> need to do this for every package on their system, however, you have
> a mess.

Well, except there's nothing to guess. The regular user should by all
means know what a security fix is. As well as a bugfix. And i think
the regular user knows as well what an enhancement is. So he can
decide very well what he want.
Except you expect from future users to be even more dumb than bread.

But if you think it should be more clear to the user, then think about
what i wrote about "educate them with a tour for example". Provide
plugins for yum that do the thing you want. Enhance the PK gui of what
you think it should be able to do.

That way you will have happy users of all groups.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium