Refining the update queues/process [Was: Worthless updates]

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Mar 3 19:18:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:07:27AM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Till Maas wrote:

> >> Actually the proposal is time AND test coverage.
> >
> > I mind have misunderstood it, but afaics it only says that it will be
> > tested, because it spent time in updates-testing, but this is not even
> > true nowadays, even if packages stay long in updates-testing.
>
> Having more time opens us up to more testing days and in the near future
> autoqa to help us bounce obviously bad things.

This statement fails to address that packages that stays long in
updates-testing are subject to testing. Btw. I am also pretty sure that
most of the manual testing time is better spent writing automated tests,
unless you consider just updating to updates-testing and see if
something bad happens sufficient testing. But this is not even enough to
find regressions, because one needs to investigate how to reproduce it
and then also test the update/release version of the package to know,
whether it is a regression or just a bug that was not triggered before.

Regards
Till