Worthless updates

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Mar 3 19:33:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:08:22PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Till Maas wrote:
> > Bug avoiding regressions at all costs is what some are willing to take.
> > With the repo split there can be at least better co-operation as e.g.
> > splitting the distribution. At least for me as a FOSS believer getting
> > upstream bugfixes fast (especially if I submitted them upstream) into
> > the distro is a key feature.
>
> The one issue I see with that is that we would have to default to the
> conservative updates because switching from regular to conservative would
> mean to downgrade stuff which we don't really support (so we need to make
> enabling the complete updates an opt-in choice), when actually the regular
> updates is what most of our users would be best off with (at least IMHO).

I think enabling the updates repo is not a that big obstacle for the
users interested in it, but maybe Fedora can also win some other users
that would be interested in the less bugfixes and regressions approach.
Nevertheless, it might also be that nobody uses it, like it seems that
the same people are not using "yum update --security" nowadays.

Regards
Till