Worthless updates

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 20:42:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 19:43 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Thomas Janssen (thomasj at fedoraproject.org) said:
> >> As i said before. Nobody holds a gun on my head and tells me "you have
> >> to update that packages". If you dont want it, read the man yum and
> >> exclude what you dont want. That's what i did in F-10.
> >
> > When there's no policy, and the user has to guess whether or not they
> > need to do this for every package on their system, however, you have
> > a mess.
>
> Well, except there's nothing to guess. The regular user should by all
> means know what a security fix is. As well as a bugfix. And i think
> the regular user knows as well what an enhancement is. So he can
> decide very well what he want.

 Welcome to the wonderful world of the KDE packager:

 --> But the user doesn't have to install everything I ship, >--
/    they already have choice!                                  \
\--< But I ignore "old" security bugs, so --security doesn't <--/
     work anyway, everyone should just "yum update -y",
     that's what I do!

...I'm dizzy, my head is spinning, like a whirlpool...