[HALL-MONITORED] Update threads are now hall-monitored

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 21:30:38 UTC 2010

On 03/03/2010 02:27 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> Okay. This has gone on long enough. The signal is gone from the
> following threads:

The signal is not entirely gone, although it is getting weaker.

> * FESCo wants to ban direct stable pushes in Bodhi (urgent call forfeedback)
> * Worthless updates
> * Refining the update queues/process
>
> Accordingly, I'm marking those threads as Hall-Monitored. Please stop
> posting in them. If you have a concrete suggestion on how to improve
> Fedora updates, please write it in a wiki page, open a FESCo trac
> ticket, and they will consider it.

The problem is that having a concrete suggestion of how to improve
fedora updates requires knowing whether we want a more stable update
cycle or a more semi-rolling update style.  It would be easy for us to
carte blanch hand down an edict on this, but that would also be wrong.
This is a community driven distribution, and by my count the number of
people that stood up in favor of semi-rolling updates was not that
different from the number of people that stood up for stable updates (I
have something like 4 for semi-rolling and 6 for stable, but many people
didn't make their preferences perfectly clear, and this count is from my
admittedly worthless memory of those that were explicit in their desires).

So while I agree that some of the posts where people are simply
attacking other people need to stop, I can't agree that this thread has
reached a stage where it is advisable to stop constructive discussions.
 I would argue that it's necessary to continue constructive discussions
in order to reach the stage where a wiki page and proposals makes sense.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at