Worthless updates

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 22:31:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 17:37 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Till Maas wrote:
> > How about we keep updates and updates-testing more like they are and add
> > another repo like updates-stable that follows your policy and is the
> > only updates repo enabled by default.
>
> That's essentially what Adam Williamson and Doug Ledford (both inspired by
> Mandriva) already proposed.

Seems like I need to say this over and over again :)

I didn't 'propose' it, exactly. I pointed it out more or less as an
example. As I've been saying for months, my fundamental point is that
this is an impossible argument, as currently framed. There are two
general groups of users to consider: those who want mostly new versions
and those who want mostly conservative updates. With a single update
stream, all we can do is pick one or the other. With a dual update
stream we can attempt to cater to both, at a cost of some added burden
on maintainers.

I think it's ultimately a Board decision whether we pick one of the two
target groups and stick to it, or whether we try to cater to both. That
decision should basically make it obvious what we should do with our
update streams.

So, no, I'm not proposing that Fedora adopt a Mandriva-type system. To
do so would be premature without a project-wide decision that we wanted
to cater to both types of user and were willing to accept the additional
overhead involved.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey