Worthless updates

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 22:33:40 UTC 2010

> Neither OpenSUSE nor Ubuntu are as quick to pick up new technologies and
> run with them into a stable release.  Quite often they pick things
> up /after/ Fedora has done a release with them and worked through all
> the hard problems.  They are also slower to release, and don't provide
> nearly as much opportunity to participate in the development of the
> operating system as Fedora does.

Um, you didn't actually say anything about 'picking up new technologies'
in your original email, though. I kinda assumed that you intended to,
otherwise your mail clearly makes no sense. Both Mandriva and Ubuntu, to
pick only the most obvious examples, release every six months and ship
conservative updates, which is all you said in your email. (Ubuntu
doesn't release slower than Fedora, it's on a six-month cycle just as we
are. So is Mandriva. The cycles aren't quite aligned, but they're all
six month cycles. OpenSUSE tends to average 8-9 months.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey