Worthless updates

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 22:48:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 13:49 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> Just because KDE 4.2 and Qt 4.5 are "buggy" shouldn't have given 4.4/4.6
> a free ride into stable. Backporting bugs is part of any Fedora package.
> Now that you got your way, this is deteriorating into a shift by you to
> move Fedora to rolling releases so that your personal update model works
> instead of complying to Fedora tradition.
>
> At over 500 emails so far, I think it's proof enough for a need of a
> FESco review of the KDE 4.4/Qt 4.6 update to make sure this crap doesn't
> happen again. Sorry Kevin, but trying to fix Fedora policies so that
> *your* upgrade paths will look correct isn't the right way to go about
> things.

Turning this into an argument about KDE isn't helping anyone. Many
maintainers push new versions of the packages they maintain as updates,
routinely. It's not just KDE by any means. We do not currently have any
'policy' against doing this, so it is not accurate to say that Kevin is
trying to 'fix Fedora policies so that *[his]* upgrade paths will look
correct'. Strictly considering our current policies (or lack of them),
there is nothing wrong with Kevin's upgrade paths.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey