Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 4 02:04:41 UTC 2010

James Antill wrote:
>   I think I'm starting to see a pattern here:
>
> . Kevin doesn't use DVD updates, so anything that needlessly breaks DVD
> updates is fine because DVD updates are worthless.

DVD updates are by definition broken, unless you have never run updates
on your previous system.

> . Kevin doesn't use selective updates, so packagers doing less work and
> not testing for selective updates is fine because selective updates are
> worthless.

Selective updates exponentially increase the cost of testing. There is
no reasonable way to even attempt to test them.

@Kevin: I wouldn't actually go so far as to call selective updates
"broken", at least not by definition. It's theoretically possible that
you will be fine doing selective updates (unlike DVD upgrades which,
currently, /are/ broken by definition). It's just not feasible to test
them, ergo the stance that they are not supported.

> . Kevin doesn't mind restarting KDE after updates, so any users
> complaining their desktop doesn't work after an update can be ignored.

I think you are making things up here. The point was rather that some
things have the unfortunate side effect of not working after being
updated until restarted. Firefox, for example...

If you care, /don't update them/ until you are prepared to deal with the
need to restart things. The alternative is to not push updates at all,
which I consider clearly unacceptable.

> ...if only someone had let me know that Fedora had become your personal
> distro.

Just because Kevin is on one side of the 'likes version updates in
stable' fence doesn't make it "his personal distro", any more than
dragging it to the other side of said fence makes it "your personal distro".

--
Matthew
Joe: This is a big deal, because now some tiny minority has lobbied for