Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Juha Tuomala Juha.Tuomala at iki.fi
Thu Mar 4 13:08:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>>    http://tuju.fi/fedora/11/kab-20100304.png
>>
>> looks like that some icons are also missing, but hard to judge
>> as it wont start properly to interact with user.
>
> That's the problem of not running Akonadi - it's central PIM part of KDE.

The funny part is that Akonadi is still very much a work in
progress. I've tried to get it working many times without success.
That's the reason majority still uses those plain resources.

Few days back I asked Rex, 'Do you use Akonadi, or know anyone who
does?' - He repiled that he doesn't. (please correct me if I'm
wrong). I've asked quite many others too, which say that they don't
use it. It's unmature. It would be interesting to know, how many
KDE SIG members actually use it? :)

I've talked to one who works for living with KDE PIM stuff, with
Akonadi people and he says that they are very unsatisfied to its
backends and it's still evolving a lot. They are actually moving
from mysqld to http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/ (already used in
nepomuk, so KDE drags two RDMBS to desktop atm - funny.)

I get that this is now being pushed down the throat at KDE side and
they probably think that it might get better with wider testing base
and thus they make the code depend hard on it. Fine, and they did it
in their *feature release* since even they don't think that it's
insane to enforce people in the middle of their workweek to become
betatesters of some unfinished project.

If we only could get KDE SIG to start thinking like their upstream
have intended them to think, lot of people wouldn't be in this mess
right now.

Tuju

--
Ajatteleva ihminen tarvitsee unta.