Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 14:46:17 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 15:30:43 Juha Tuomala wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > current stable release nor support an official backports repo, an
> > unofficial one will no doubt spring up, or an existing unofficial repo
> > will pick up that role (for KDE, kde-redhat stable would probably be
> > revived, currently it's mostly empty for Fedora as the kind of stuff
> > which would be in there is usually just pushed as official Fedora
> > updates).
>
> Go ahead, make that to your kde-hardcore-followers-repo. In my
> understanding, that's what it has been for past years already
> anyway.

Third party repos are highway to hell unfortunately. Ask former OpenSuse users
:( Of course - it's one of solutions.

> > I would argue having this within Fedora infrastructure would be better as
> > it would prevent proliferation of third-party repos replacing Fedora
> > packages and the resulting compatibility issues (see e.g. the chaos
> > we're having for RHEL with third-party repositories replacing official
> > packages with newer versions and the resulting dependency hell) and as
> > it would also provide a place for new versions of less commonly-used
> > applications.
>
> So the thing is that KDE SIG wants to prevent any other activity and
> keep the strings in own hands. That's why nobody can't enjoy the
> upstream's intended stability in bugfix releases and plan major
> upgrades.
>
> If someone wants to fork, whatever, let them do it. That's why
> Fedora moves to the git, to make it easier.
>
> > That said, IMHO the best solution is still to have this stuff in the
> > official updates. But it's true that the kind of issues some users are
> > having with KDE 4.4 are unfortunate. This particular Akonadi issue hasn't
> > shown up during testing or it would have been considered a blocker.
>
> What you've just proved could have been enough for some companies
> trying to run Fedora on their employees desktops and they probably
> think that they've seen enough. TCO is rising too high when you
> cannot do sane stable release updates.

Fedora is not for companies - with one year of lifetime it's not very well
suited for any long-term deployment. Use Cent OS - it's not I don't want to
see Fedora there, it's just reality. And Cent OS is just older and more stable
Fedora...

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275