Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Mar 4 16:33:20 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 07:18 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/04/2010 07:27 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> That said, IMHO the best solution is still to have this stuff in the
>> official updates. But it's true that the kind of issues some users are
>> having with KDE 4.4 are unfortunate. This particular Akonadi issue hasn't
>> shown up during testing or it would have been considered a blocker.
>>

> The whole point is that you will invariably find such breakage when
> pushing updates like this *after* the release and this is precisely why
> there are huge discussions on this topic and sooner you realize that no
> matter how careful you are you only increase the risks by doing such
> updates mid-release the better off we are towards a reasonable level of
> compromise
>
> Rahul

Kevin/KDE SIG -

I would also like you to consider that simply changing the behavior of a
system, while not technically a bug or regression, can be frustrating to
a lot of users (I have reports of different looking panels, different
task bar graphics behavior).  Especially to sysadmins like myself who
manage multiple users' systems and have to deal with and explain to the
users all of the changes that happen.  It is much easier for me to say -
when is a good time to upgrade to Fn? and the user can prepare for
changes and time it to not coincide with other deadlines, etc.

And please, just assume like Rahul says that there *will* be
bugs/regressions that aren't found in testing for major updates like
this, and take that into consideration.

I'm sure some (most?) of my frustration needs to be directed with KDE
upstream and their cavalier attitude towards preserving settings and
data during updates, but I also really don't want to have to deal with
this any more than I have to.

(Off to track down changes in XRANDR behavior with 4.4.0 ....)

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com