usb_modeswitch by default

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 16:44:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 01:50:21 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

(adding linux-usb to cc:, see below)

> Increasingly a number of broadband connections require usb_modeswitch to
> connect online
>
> http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/03/vodafone-australia-mobile-broadband-and.html
>
> Any opposition to adding this to the base group?

I am strongly opposed. IMHO, using usb_modeswitch is not necessary, and
we should not package its version 1.0.0 or any other version.

The root of the problem here is that someone thought it was a good idea
to make the kernel chase Huawei IDs. But it's not. Even if the linux-next
were taking the IDs as Huawei pops them, without any lag, the distro
kernels simply have no chance to keep up.

Here is the log from Peter's blog:

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=1520
usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-2: Product: HUAWEI Mobile
usb 1-2: Manufacturer: HUAWEI Technology

So, the 0x1520. The 2.6.33 ends with 0x143f. No woder Peter resorts to
usb_modeswitch! And what's the downside for him? My ulcers?

We ought to put a quirk in usb-storage that deals with Huawei in a particular
way. I don't see how screenfuls of garbage in unusual_devs.h is any better
than special-casing in usb_stor_acquire_resources.

If we do not do that, users will continue using usb_modeswitch, and then
all the kernel code that deals with Huawei now amounts to useless waste.

-- Pete