Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Mar 4 18:52:58 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 10:15 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> >  In other words, SIG's current policy is doing more harm than good
>> >  for Fedora.
> Not necessarily. There has also been some very positive feedback for the KDE
> 4.4 updates, and some people are using Fedora BECAUSE such updates get
> pushed.

I agree with Kevin that timely software upgrades in Fedora are a GOOD
thing. The problem is not updates---it's the QA. It just should not
happen that updates fail to even start up out of the box. I recognize
that sometimes the problem is caused by the specific system
configuration, but I have first-hand examples where the app was just
plain broken. The dilemma of course is what to do in such case:
currently it's either shipping the app or taking it out of the distro.

Perhaps there should be a RPM property that flagged apps with known
major bugs, so that the end users could chose between

- always updating everything and dealing with breakage later
- updating only security fixes
- updating only security fixes and 'no-known-defects' apps

Such choice would be a global user-settable system setting, I presume.
Perhaps there could be a separate setting per package group, because it
would make sense to want the latest versions of engineering apps, while
leaving email and desktop enough alone.