Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:14:55 UTC 2010

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

>  So please, Fedora KDE users - comment
>  these changes!

I prefer to get the releases as KDE releases
them, instead of having to wait... and wait...
and wait...

I scanned the Stability Proposal document that
had been linked. Here is what I think:

As I had expected, breaking up the monolithic
packages into individual packages is a whole lot
of unnecessary work. Better to provide releases
as they occur, than to waste time unnecessarily
breaking down the monolithic packages. To what
end and benefit? Who, nowadays, doesn't have at
least one hard drive of at least 80-100GB, likely
more (I have 3 drives, 2x300GB and1x200GB, the
latter an old pata that will eventually get
phased out, and I actually use only about 80GB
for my own archives! That's a lot of space to
spare).

I think it is unnecessary to provide the latest
releases for any releases except the current and
rawhide. If people don't bother to upgrade to the
current release, then they obviously don't care
to run a cutting edge system, so there is no
point in providing it at the expense of a whole
lot of work. It only takes an evening to download
a live cd, install it, and do some rudimentary
configurations. The rest can be achieved as one
actually uses the system, so there is no excuse
for not running the latest release. Considering
that a lot of the work is done by volunteers (or
are you, all you redhat/fedora people?), this is
a fabulous system all for free and not even money
can purchase anything better.

Yes, it is true that KDE 4 has matured immensely
and it truly is difficult to notice all of the
improvements and bug fixes. Nevertheless, I
personally do enjoy finding the occasional
irritating quirk disappear after a yum update.

Definitely, old releases should receive only the
necessary bug fixes, not new features. This is a
terrible waste of manpower.

Fedora advertises and distinguishes itself from
other distros by being cutting edge. This is what
I expect (although I would not likely jump ship,
were the aforementioned changes implemented), as
there is no other distro offering cutting edge
and stability and quality, as fedora does.

To save man-hours, it might be better to scrap
kde-redhat and just stick to updates and updates-
testing. I would enable updates-testing (and
sometimes I even pull something off koji
manually), but many would stick to the safer
route of just enabling updates.

It is a waste of time for a cutting edge distro
to support old versions.

I can say, that aside from a very rare scare for
a night, I have had no reason not to be ecstatic
about this distro and the benefits of running it.
No other distro offers what fedora offers.

The musings of an avid fedora user.