usb_modeswitch by default

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 20:07:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:00:12 -0800
Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> The problem is that there are a ton more devices that need modeswitching
> than just Huawei, and upstream USB developers are refusing to take
> patches that add more devices to the kernel modeswitching code because
> they assert it should be done in userspace.  Thus, usb_modeswitch is the
> only thing that can handle *all* modems that need modeswitching these
> days.  Honestly we should just stop adding new Huawei IDs to
> unusual_devs, and just use usb_modeswitch.

Who are these mysterious kernel developers? You don't happen to have
any e-mail saved?

If Greg Kroah rules that we should promote usb_modeswitch, then fine,
let's do that, and drop all Huawei nonsense from kernel. But I haven't
heard anything like that so far. In fact, the party line was exactly
the opposite: eradicate usb_modeswitch.

-- Pete