how to make things better(tm)

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Fri Mar 5 08:36:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:15:50PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> latest-and-greatest, bleeding edge policy of Fedora.

> If you would point me to such a "bleeding edge" policy then I could
> agree but I believe this is merely assumed by some and if you want the
> latest always you could use kde-redhat repo

Maybe it isn't written down as a policy but in my mind it's a big part
of the four foundations. Unless we want to make them "freedom friends
frozen frustration" in the future ...

When I 'sell' Fedora at FLOSS events my main two arguments are:

1) Fedora gets you current software - not only is it often first in
   shipping new stuff (among other projects, I use xorg as an example)
   in new releases it is also the only major distribution that ships
   updated versions for a release.

2) It's easy to start contributing. Becoming a package maintainer takes
   a lot less time than for Debian / Ubuntu and rpm packaging is easier
   to grasp than building debs.

If we continue stacking additional constraints on the packager / update
process and switch to a 'security and data-loss bugfixes only' policy
for releases then I would loose both arguments and fedora would just be
chasing ubuntu. I'd hate to see that happen as I'm pretty sure that
the answer to who is the better ubuntu will always be ubuntu.

That said I'm pretty excited about the prospect of having AutoQA
automatically test and reject updates and making the karma process
easier for the user so that it can be promoted and relied upon in the
future.

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net