Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 08:36:17 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 22:13:05 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 13:59 -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> > The problem is that there _aren't_ bug fixes for these old releases. When
> > 4.x comes out, upstream pretty much drops development on 4.x-1 except
> > for security issues which are backported from 4.x. This leaves us in the
> > tough position of "oh crap, there's $importantfix, in 4.x, but we either
> > need to *spend the manpower* to backport it ourselves, or ship
> > buggy/security-issue-plagued software. :(
>
> You just said that upstream backports security issues, so your sticking
> with 4.x-1, you'd have security fixes for it.

Lot of security fixes (especially KHTML ones) are coming from us ;-) Thanks to
security team guys for great work spotting security issues!!!

Problem is with bugfixes - usually it's not easy to backport stuff as KDE
upstream is not just patching but lot of fixes are whole design fixes.

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275