To semi-rolling or not to semi-rolling, that is the question...

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Mar 5 09:38:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 08:52:56AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> One size does still not fit all, although this is a great idea for
> most packages in Fedora for packages in certain niches this is a bad idea.
>
> I've said this before (and got 0 response), I believe there should
> be some divide made between core packages (with core being quite big, not
> the bare essentials, but also most of all desktop environments, etc.) and
> non core packages.

I kind of agree with you, but without completely describing these core
packages, it is kind of hard to know what to agree to. Imho it is not
only "core-ness", but also package complexity that should be taken into
account (and upstream QA, but you mentioned this in your other mail).
But as you wrote their, it mostly boils down to a maintainer decision
and cannot easily be written into a Policy, but more into a guideline
for maintainers to help them decide.

Regards
Till