how to make things better(tm)

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 5 11:03:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 03:55 PM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>>
>> I read about regressions all the time in KDE releases, over and over
>> again. What's a regression you Rahul have faced and can you provide a
>> BZ as well?
>>
> A while back a kde update caused kmail to stop working on imap accounts
> and I dont use the DE in Fedora anymore because I wanted to avoid such
> problems with big updates and while I don't have the bz number for that
> problem handy it would easy enough to find if you are interested and
> every big push has repeatedly brought out similar problems

So you filed a bug. I will search for it. So you stop'd using it, BUT
you faced more problems like that. Now that's interesting. Or is it
that you blow into the same horn as others do? If so, i would have
expected more from you.

>> Another thing, since you throw that links about
>> package_update_guidelines around, some maintainers should also check
>> what software is my software built against and dont push broken
>> software without testing to stable because of that "mistake" ;)
>>
> This is seriously petty and I would point out that messing around with
> the buildroot as part of the big kde update is what caused the problem
> in the first place and yes I was told that future announcement would add
> more clarity and the sig would avoid buildroot overrides for future updates

Indeed better announcements will save (almost) that problems. And a
better system than buildroot overrides we're asking/asked for will
help there as well. Though there's that link YOU provided and pointed
fingers at US.

>> Just to remind anyone, if you forgot, or dont know what Fedora stands
>> for IN REAL LIFE, you might go out and check it. It stands exactly for
>> what you terribly fight against.
>>

> You seem to assume that other people dont talk to Fedora users and that
> is wrong and I still differ from your position

No, i just tell you (not only you, but all people) that they shouldn't
forget about what Fedora stands for and the things we earn our love
for. So the one who assumes something seems to be you. I don't want to
convert you, so please keep your different position. But stay with
what YOU know from experience and provide BZs for that mass of
regressions/problems you faced. That's something YOU want from users
as well who have a different position than you.

Thank you.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium