how to make things better(tm)

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 5 15:25:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 10:25 AM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>
>> I can see the need and agree that maybe not every big push needs to go
>> to N-1 releases. But not pushing 4.x.x relases to the currently
>> "stable" N release is just plain wrong. That kills what Fedora stands
>> for out there in the wild. To be a leading edge distribution. And dont
>> come up again with rawhide. That's just ridiculous, because then i can
>> run EVERY distro out there and use their rawhide/factory/cooker or
>> whatever name they have. Leading edge doesn't stand only for "new
>> technics adopted first".
>>
>> Another thing, since you throw that links about
>> package_update_guidelines around, some maintainers should also check
>> what software is my software built against and dont push broken
>> software without testing to stable because of that "mistake" ;)
>>
>> Just to remind anyone, if you forgot, or dont know what Fedora stands
>> for IN REAL LIFE, you might go out and check it. It stands exactly for
>> what you terribly fight against. And people love it exactly for that.
>> But sure, there's always the possibility to bend over and try as hard
>> as you can to make something without an own identity.....
>
> I think you're making a mistake.  Surely there's a fundamental
> distinction between a distro that has the latest packages when
> released and a distro that has the latest packages all the time via
> updates.  Even if Fedora didn't push new upstream versions via
> updates, it'd still be a very hot leading edge distro.

Well, no. It wouldn't be a very hot leading distro. It would be
nothing more than any other distro with the same release-cycle. Sure
there would be some new stuff, as we had PA as first (just an
example). Though, exact that stuff annoyed a lot of users the most.
And who cares for real? It's not like Sound wasn't working or there
was nothing like Jack.
Look at openSUSE, Mandriva, Ubuntu. They do the same good job as we
do. BUT they dont push the latest packages via updates. And that's the
difference for a lot of us. That's exactly the reason why a lot of us
changed to Fedora.
I would still stay with openSUSE if they did the same.

So i (and others who think like me), have no reason to use Fedora over
one of the other mainstream Distros if Fedora is the same. And we will
not get users like me if we dont offer that. Sure, there might be
people who dont give a darn about people like me.

As said, if you ask who's the better Ubuntu, it will always be Ubuntu.

If you ask me, i say, have a face, have a character and offer
something the others dont. Fedora is exactly that right now.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium