how to make things better(tm)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 15:49:47 UTC 2010

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > We have a written down policy that specifically recommends that our
> > maintainers consider the issue of regressions seriously and not push
> > every upstream release into the updates repository
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_guidelines
>
> 1. That policy is not mandatory, just indicative:
> "These are not intended to be prescriptive rules. Package maintainers are
> expected to to exercise their own common sense and good judgement."
> 2. That policy doesn't say that no new versions or even no feature upates
> should be pushed. Quite the opposite

> So I don't see that policy as backing your claims at all.

That's because you're misreading Rahul's claims. Rahul was replying to a
post which claimed Fedora has a 'policy' of being 'bleeding edge'.
Rahul's point is that we don't, and the only policy we do have - even
though, as he specifically notes, it's a weak one (he says 'specifically
recommends', not 'requires') - is rather the opposite. If you'd left in
the context from the post Rahul was replying to, this would have been
clear.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey