Push scripts, mash (was: Re: FESCo wants to ban direct stable pushes in Bodhi (urgent call for feedback))

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 17:08:07 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) said:
> > So what? That's not twice as much as FE6, which would not have taken
> > several hours to push into such a repo. Not even when running repoclosure
> > on the needsign repo prior to pushing and when updating repoview pages
> > afterwards. Simply because the code that was used worked very differently
> > than "mash".
>
> Yeah, basically "mash" is a really brute force solution, I think directly
> writing out only the new updates as the first prototypes of Bodhi did and as
> the Extras scripts also did/do is a much smarter solution. Always
> recomputing everything sucks.

The issue there is then you have to properly determine what packages
to remove from the repo (unless you just keep everything, which has its
own problems); in this case, recomputing actually makes the code simpler.

> It was claimed that recomputing is necessary for some obscure multilib
> corner cases. Let me suggest a radical solution for that: drop multilib
> repos!

While that would make things simpler and shorter, I doubt it's really
practical. Enough people use and want multilib that I don't think we can
just unilaterally remove it. Moreover, the multilib portion of the compose isn't
the primary time eater.

I certianly don't want to go back to the whitelist case where every time
someone needed a new multilib package we had to update a static whitelist
in the update push tool. That's just silly.

Bill