how to make things better(tm)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 17:55:23 UTC 2010

Orcan Ogetbil (oget.fedora at gmail.com) said:
> There is one more thing. Very important thing. We have been pushing
> KDE releases asap so far, and although it hurt me at times (at school
> and at work), I like it. I don't blame people who don't. Here is the
> thing: The bugs need to be reported most of the time to get fixed.
> Fedora has been a pioneer in KDE development in this sense. If we
> don't push 4.x.0 releases to stable, the 4.x.1 will be more buggy,
> since not many distros do kde 4.x.0 updates to their stable releases.
> Someone has to make some sort of sacrifice but I cannot come up with a
> good-for-all resolution for this issue.

If we are going down the road of providing absolute-latest-versions on
older releases, perhaps not pushing it to prior releases until it's
actually been in wide use on the next release? So, you have, for example:

- new version 4.6
-> push it to rawhide, get testing
-> get new Fedora release with that version
--> get *even more testing*, make needed fixes

And only *then* do you push it to the prior releases, once it's actually
proven that it's not going to break things for the widest group of users.
It lets you not only use the rawhide adopters, who expect major change,
but the next-release early adopters, who also expect adjustments on moving
to a next major release.

Bill