how to make things better(tm)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 5 18:10:10 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 11:25 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> The nepomuk problem some face is something that falls under, damn,
>> that shouldn't happen, but sh!t happens. I saw a lot more and even
>> terrible stuff happen in Fedora.
>
> So first you claim there's no regressions, then you acknowledge a
> specific one and excuse it by saying 'shit happens'? And 'I saw a lot
> more and even terrible stuff happen in Fedora'? The whole point of the
> discussion is that not everyone is happy that 'shit happens', and some
> wish to reduce the about of 'terrible stuff' that happens in Fedora.

Assuming he's talking about this problem:
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Nepomuk_Indexing_Agents_have_been_Disabled
then I'd argue this is not a noticeable regression for most users if it
weren't for the annoying message box.

As of 4.4 (4.5 will probably need both Akonadi and Akonadi's Nepomuk
integration for more stuff, but we aren't pushing 4.5 any time soon, there
isn't even any alpha or beta release of it yet), if you don't happen to use
some contacts-related features ("ranging from displaying upcoming birthdays,
over handling free/busy lists to showing a contact photo in the message
viewer" according to upstream), the only thing you'll notice is the message
box. If you do use those features, the message box tries to tell you what's
wrong and how to fix it (but admittedly does a very poor job of it), so
there's a pretty straightforward workaround.

That said, we have acknowledged the annoyance factor (which we had
underestimated) and we also had apparently underestimated the reduction in
functionality from not having Nepomuk running (we thought it was only used
for searches). Updates to our default settings rectifying this (by enabling
Nepomuk by default) are now queued for testing:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kde-settings-4.3-18
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kde-settings-4.2-18

We apologize for the inconvenience and we acknowledge that we made a
mistake, but still I personally think this issue has been way overblown.
I've seen other annoying incomprehensible message boxes in Fedora in the
past, and Window$ (which many people believe is "user friendly") is full of
them.

        Kevin Kofler